Prev: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers Next: RE: [FT] I'm in love with Pulse Torpedoes

[Semi-OT] Blackhawk Down

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:46:29 -0500
Subject: [Semi-OT] Blackhawk Down

Diplomacy Incarnate said:
Oh, and as far as "Chickenshit", anyone
who's actually held a loaded weapon can
tell you that having your safety on at all
times is a way of preventing death and
serious injury.  As a matter of fact, not
haivng his safety on was the reason a kid
from the Service Battery of our supporting
artillery BN in Kosovo put a 5.56mm round
through the chest of an 8 year old boy.

I reply:
John, there are several ways this kind of
catastrophe can be prevented. These track
back to and include not having your finger
inside the trigger gaurd and having a well
designed weapon (some weapons are
actually poorly enough designed as to go
off when dropped or banged on something
a little less gently). Having said that, a
safety _can_ be a useful thing.

However, your statement is overstatement.
(Surprise!). The RCMP in Canada uses a
Smith and Wesson (IIRC) semi-automatic
pistol. That particular model
_has_no_safety_. And these are police
whose principal function is the protection of
the public and who do not shoot when they
have any kind of concern over where the
round might go, obstructions, richochets,
marginal hit percentages, etc. They have
safety as a main concern, but they carry
one up the spout and no safety. Why might
they do this? (No, stupidity isn't it).

The fact is a safety is a mechanical
component that requires user operation at
a key moment. Two problems arise from
this: 1) it might jam (sometimes do) thus
making the weapon unable to fire when it
needs to and 2) the user might (in a
moment of surprise or tension) forget to
take it off or be incapable of it. Even
trained soldiers and police have this
problem under stress. So, by eliminating
the safety, they eliminate this potentially
lethal set of problems. Yes, it requires that
you handle the weapon with respect -
anyone who does not is an idiot. You keep
it ALWAYS pointed away from things you
don't consider expendable. You keep your
finger out of the trigger gaurd until you
mean to punch one into someone. You
have a heavy enough pull-weight that the
trigger won't easily depress accidently. You
have a well enough designed weapon that
a bang or bump won't set it off. You use
stable ammunition. Do these things, and
the odds of a mishap are very minimal
(probably less than the odds of the two
problems I described at the beginning,
which is what the RCMP think anyway).

Oh, and for the record, some weapons
have very bad design. I have heard (no
verification) that some early (perhaps even
current?) models of the IMI desert eagle
series had a small part related to the
safety which fit in the weapon in two ways.
One of which made the safety operable.
The other of which rendered it inoperable
and (I forget) may have disabled the
weapon. But you couldn't tell if you weren't
super careful and this was often screwed
up under field conditions.

The Delta Dude was being Hollywood or
Gung-Ho, but the point remains. The best
safety is a combination of good equipment
design and a smart operator. [1]

Tomb.

[1] Safeties like the Thumb Safety on some
.45 ACP pistols aren't so bad. And police in
some states have sworn by them (although
I've often wondered how you could actually
hold the .45 without having depressed that
safety - apparently you can and this has
saved several police officers who've had
their own weapon taken from them).

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers Next: RE: [FT] I'm in love with Pulse Torpedoes