Prev: Re: [DS2] Aerospace design question #1 Next: RE: Re:[OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife - Stinging Tree URL

Re: Aero Design questions #2 and #2(a)

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:01:54 +0100
Subject: Re: Aero Design questions #2 and #2(a)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
> Size 3, DFO x 1 (4 points,) SLAM/3 x 1(6 points - fixed mount,) GMS/H
(4
> points,) and (1 cap lost.)
>
> The question was raised, "Can't the GMS fire 360 instead of straight
> ahead?" [Referring to the fixed mount issue]
>
> My Initial thought (without looking up the rules) was, "Well I suppose
> that would be reasonable since the vehicular GMS fires 360 degrees."
>
> Then I read Page 41, paragraph "ii)" which says "...Missiles may be
fired
> at targets...a 30 [degree symbol] forward arc."  I found that
acceptable
> but not necessary logical (house rule time?) given the system
represents
> an entire "...launcher and supply of	missiles (as used on ground
> vehicles"..."  Your comments are solicited.

> And while we are at it - paragraph "i)" same page restricts 'fixed
> mounts' to "...straight ahead...on the line of flight..."  again
> personally acceptable but again **perhaps**  challengeable.  Comments
> appreciated here also.

The vast majority of aircraft (including helicopters) weapons fire
forward.
Main reasons:
- the need for streamlining requires limits the ways weapons can be
mounted.
- typically weapons are aimed by aiming the whole aircraft
- turning barrels or missile launchers across the direction of movement
requires considerable power
- aiming sideways from a moving vehicle is difficult.

Hence the restrictions in the rules are reasonable general rules for
present-day aircraft.

There are some exceptions, especially the defensive machine guns of
WWII-era
bombers. THough these suffered from all the problems described above.

Greetings

Prev: Re: [DS2] Aerospace design question #1 Next: RE: Re:[OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife - Stinging Tree URL