Prev: Re: Package Deals Next: Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife

Re: [OT] Coming to Europe for a couple of weeks ...

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:05:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Coming to Europe for a couple of weeks ...

----- Original Message -----
From: <nated@naxera.com>
> I'm taking two weeks of leave in Europe starting the middle of next
week
and am looking for some advice on gamer specific sights to see and some
good
game stores to stop at in England.

> I'm also looking for advice on military museums and any other sights a
GZG-oriented traveller would enjoy, in:

Depends a bit on how far back your military interests go, and how much
you
want to go outside those places.
How will you be travelling between cities ? If you are going by car,
there
may be a few battlesites, museums etc. on the way.

> Prague - 31 Jan
The Hradcin castle is impressive. Nearby is the military museum, which
unfortunately, was closed for repairs the last two times I was there.
There
are a few guns standing on the outside.The National Museum and the
Historical section of the N.M. (separate buildings) should have some
exhibit.

> Berlin - 01 Feb

I'm not quite up to date here.
All the historical buildings (Reichstag, Brandenburger Tor etc.). Also
what's left of the Nazi buildings and quite a number of monuments to
their
victims.
Frederick the Great's Sanssouci castle in Potsdam can be reached by
local
train.
Checkpoint Charlie: a museum to the Cold War.
There is the Russian Monument to their victory in WWII, complete with
tanks
and artillery pieces.
There is a Museum on Transportation, which has airplanes, locomotives
etc.
Various historical museums, but none directly devoted to military
matters.
If you are into ancient history, the Pergamon museum has very impressive
exhibits.
For some ideas about alien lifeforms visit the Museum of Natural
history.
Impressive Dinosaur skeletons.

> Amsterdam - 03 Feb
> Paris - 04/05 Feb

The Musee de l'Armee is the Army museum, near the Invalides
The Musee de la Marine near the Eiffel tower is the museum of the French
Navy
The Science Museum is supposed to be impressive (haven't seen it)
> England - 06/09 Feb
> Pisa, Rome - 10/12 Feb

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Package Deals Next: Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife