Prev: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers Next: Re: [OT] Coming to Europe for a couple of weeks ...

Re: Re:[OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife - Stinging Tree URL

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:39:15 -0000
Subject: Re: Re:[OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife - Stinging Tree URL

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@austarmetro.com.au>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 11:29 AM

> URL about Stinging Trees.
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s243639.htm
>
> Quotes:

SNIP botany of hell
> ...But we humans feel something between mild irritation and intense
pain
and
> death. The pain comes immediately after touching the plant, and it
gradually
> increases to a peak after about 20-30 minutes.
>

> OK, Hands up. How many of you thought this was a Furphy ( Australian
for
> "Tall Story"?)

An old movie set in the Everglades had a character describe the less
awful
Manchineel tree as "an unusual phenomenon- a tree that can carve its
initials in _you_..."

On Australian wildlife, the English comedian described the flora and
fauna
as
falling into the following categories:
Kills you
Hurts you
Scares you
or
Makes you wish you hadn't come.

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers Next: Re: [OT] Coming to Europe for a couple of weeks ...