Prev: plastic ruins Next: Re: [SG] Evil Empire

Re: [SG] comparing SG

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:10:51 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [SG] comparing SG

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:12:40 +1100 Alan and Carmel Brain
<aebrain@austarmetro.com.au> wrote:

> From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@voicenet.com>
>> (I do like bits of the 40K background -- especially since they've
moved away from the idea that the Imperium is neccessarily the good
guys <<

> Returning to the Rogue Trader roots. Some of the original illos
showed the inner sanctum of the Emperor in very Geigeresque style. It
called into question whether this was the lesser of two Evils. <

That was a _question_? The 40K background _never_ looked to have any
good guys in it. The Imperium is a bunch of power-mad religious
fanatics; the Eldar are ruthless survivalists with the usual
superiority complex; I'm not even going to bother describing the Orks
and the Tyranids; the various Chaos/Dark Whatever forces are, by
definition, evil; and I've seen nothing to make me think the Tau are
any better.

The whole concept of the 40K universe is a Dark Future(tm) in which
There Is Only War(tm). There is no optimism, no honour (only twisted
reflections of it), no trust, and the whole thing "works" purely on the
basis of Might Makes Right.

That's one of the reasons why I loathe GW. This is not a concept that I
think should be aimed at children.

Phil
----
(Dr) P.A. Atcliffe
Senior Lecturer
Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
University of the West of England, Bristol
Phone: +44 (0)117 344 2496
Fax:   +44 (0)117 344 3800
Email: Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk

Prev: plastic ruins Next: Re: [SG] Evil Empire