Prev: RE: Re: [semi-OT] black hawk down? Next: RE: [semi-OT] black hawk down?

Re: [OT] Champions

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:12:50 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Champions

On 22-Jan-02 at 21:18, John Atkinson (johnmatkinson@yahoo.com) wrote:

> --- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >PS - WH40K blows dead bears! (If I can run
> > >faster than a speeding bullet, I should be
> > >playing Champions.....)
> >

> > HEY!!!!!!
> >
> > I *PLAY* CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> All superhero RPGs are inherently sucky.  I played one
> once--built a character that could basically shoot
> anything dead that truly annoyed me.	Drove the GM
> nuts.  Got bored inside a week.  It made such an
> impression that I don't even remember which one it
> was.

Champions requires a bit of input on character design
by the GM.  Most of the problems can be caught by:

1. Disallowing 1 dimensional characters
2. Requiring a character still be conscious after taking
   his own best punch.
3. Requiring a character to take damage from his own best
   punch.
4. For new players I allow no killing attacks.	You are
   "dropping genre".

The game system allows such a range of powers that munchkinism
can run rampant unless you have a GM that puts his own stamp
on the game.  The usual problem is combat people need to drop
back and think of roleplaying instead of min-maxxing.

FWIW I did the same thing the f irst time I played, the GM
slapped me down hard.

Roger Books (GM for _many_ RPGs, including one we wrote)

Prev: RE: Re: [semi-OT] black hawk down? Next: RE: [semi-OT] black hawk down?