Prev: Re: [SG] comparing SG Next: Re: [SG] comparing SG

Re: [SG] comparing SG

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:06:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG] comparing SG

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:04:53 -0800 (PST), John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote:

>WH40K is based on Napoleonic tactics, and badly
>thought out Napoleonic tactics at that.

Actually, it's based on ancients tactics, being as it's a medieval
combat
system used to conduct "modern" combat.

In the original incarnation it had a "move then fire" turn sequence.
Even by
1987, when the game was released, "move then fire" had been discarded by
serious wargame designers.

It was a fun, non-serious game in its first incarnation if you added
"opportunity fire" rules. I also grafted on the Squad Leader turn
sequence and
it worked fine. That is, as a skirmish game (30 figures a side).
Unfortunately, it grew into a nasty monster with a runaway arms race,
where
the game devolved into one player's high priced uber troops taking on
the
other player's high priced uber troops.

It's just itching to be parodied in literary form. Other than as a
reference
for such a project, stay as far away from it as possible.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@att.net

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,
   "Jack B. Quick, Boy Inventor"

Prev: Re: [SG] comparing SG Next: Re: [SG] comparing SG