Prev: C.J. Cherryh Next: Re: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

Re: [OTT]Student Politics/ Future Shock

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:10:32 +1100
Subject: Re: [OTT]Student Politics/ Future Shock

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>

> > Gay Lib
> > Tolkein Society (TolSoc)-
> > Formalin - "To preserve the University Union"
> > George Formby Appreciation Society
>
> I don't know whether to be disturbed, or highly
> amused.

It ceased being amusing when the radicals started
subsiding murder with our money.

> Or simply glad that this was on the other side of the
> planet.

That's OK John, we feel the same about the Republicans <g>
And the Democrats. And Ralph Nader. And....

"The symbol of the party in power is... an ELEPHANT???"
"OK. Weirdoes are everywhere. Does their opposition have a symbol?"
"It does? What is it?"
"...A Donkey. As in Ass. R-i-g-h-t....."

A Certain former-VP famous for his lack of intellect actually
let the cat out of the bag here in Australia, when he gave a
very clear and cogent speech defending the indefencible, and
answered off-the-cuff some very curly questions with aplomb.
He wasn't playing to the home crowd, so didn't have to play
the clown to evade his enemies within the party.

But all anyone in the US can remember is his "original" spelling
of "Potato(e)".

The World and World Politics is a truly strange and marvellous place.
In Jan 1982, what would be the likelihood that
a) The UK would be about to fight a war with Argentina with the year.
b) The USSR would dissolve within 10 years.
c) The US would 20 years later be bombing the fertiliser out of
Afghanistan.

Compared with this, the political changes in the Tuffleyverse are
remarkably sane.

Prev: C.J. Cherryh Next: Re: Metal Storm (Long-ish)