Prev: Re: Anti-pds Next: Re: Metal Storm

Re: Re[5]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:08:25 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[5]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

At 8:24 PM +0100 1/18/02, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:

>I guess so. AFAIK, (and somebody with better knowledge may perhaps
correct
>me) a 203 mm grenade is about the largest that a man can lift, and that
is
>without the charge. 155 mm are rather smaller but still hard work and,
>again, grenade and charge are separate. I don't see a metal-storm like
>artillery system that relies on the ammo being man-handled. It might be
>possible to make one with an autoloader.
>Another possible issue is that, AFAIK, artillery, especially howitzers
still
>use variable charges to vary their range (or am I out-of-date here?)

That they do. Current development tech (Panzerhaubitz 2000 and the US
Crusader) are going to have guns that will fire a 6-10 round fire
mission in about a minute. Those rounds will all impact the target at
exactly the same time.

see:

Crusader (United Defence)
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/crusader.htm
http://www.udlp.com/prod/crusader.htm

PZH 2000 (Krauss-Maffei Wegmann)
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/pzh2000/
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/pzh2000.htm
http://www.kmweg.de/english/index.html

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: Re: Anti-pds Next: Re: Metal Storm