Prev: Ganas was Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle) Next: A question of variants

Re: [OT] Metalstorm-ish tech from an infantry PoV

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:02:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Metalstorm-ish tech from an infantry PoV

At 8:29 PM -0500 1/17/02, Tomb wrote:
>Okay, as a former weekend warrior, I have a thought or two on a
>Metalstorm technology firearm for use by the infantry.
>
>Let us compare the two systems:
[snip nice analysis]

>It isn't inviable, I just say its not a panacea and, as a footslogger,
>prefer easy to carry mags (I'm already festooned with too much gear
that
>isn't easy enough to locate around the body) and to to have a weapon I
>can zero and depend on to work (better, even a conventional weapon can
>freeze!) in very cold weather and when wet. And the idea of not
>generating an EMF to attract sensors in 2183 is mighty appealing too.

EMP from a coil and a sparkplug are detectable at 8,000 feet line of
sight with Vietnam era sensors. AC-130 Hercules Guns ships were
tracking and hunting NVA Trucks at night on the Ho Chi Minh trail
with the ASD-5 Black Crow.

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: Ganas was Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle) Next: A question of variants