Prev: Re: Metal Storm Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Offers and stuff!

Re: [OT] A sci-fi materials idea

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:25:43 EST
Subject: Re: [OT] A sci-fi materials idea

Being discussed now.  Most of th components exist in an almost viable
model.	The devil is in the details, I.e., making it work right all the
time the first time and (biggest two problems) affordable and usable by
private...

Given time (how much?) and money (You want how much for the uniform?) it
will appear.  Just not likely in my life time (I'm 51.)

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:17:12 -0500 "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>
writes:
>This would apply to chameleon camouflage, etc. It would also apply to
>tactical/non-tactical combination uniforms.
>
>Imagine a material (something like cloth) which takes on a certain
>reflectivity to the visible and IR spectrum when exposed to a certain
>charge or field. Thus to change it, you need to expose it to a
>different
>charge or field.
>
>Perhaps this charge or field is created by microfilaments woven
>through
>the cloth. This charge is supplied (and controlled) through a small
>wearable computer... mostly inert, only powered when a change of
>colour
>is desired. Let's further posit that the configuration is "locked" by
>the little computer such that a sweep with a field generator over an
>area won't have enemy troops popping out like sore thumbs!
>
>What does this give us? A dressy looking (not maybe full dress, but
>definitely work dress) uniform that can change to combat BDUs with the
>push of a button. This is the "basic standard" uniform.
>
>The advanced uniform matches the filament weave with an optical
>filament
>weave. This net plus an uprated control computer allows the user to
>hit
>the button and take on the character of whatever is behind him - sort
>of
>instant chameleon effect. Won't let you do it while moving, but get in
>place, hit the button, and you're nigh invisible.
>
>And it lets you take on the character of the area you're operating in
>quickly too, no need to worry about having the wrong camouflage
>pattern
>for your opzone. This would be really handy for Spec Ops guys.
>
>I'm not sure if such a material and control system is feasible, but
>assuming the basic physics of it are feasible (whatever they are),
>then
>the computer control system probably is given another 200 (or maybe
>just
>20) years.
>
>What do you think?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: Metal Storm Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Offers and stuff!