Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: [DSII] Building Scale in DS2

Re: OT: Technology alert - guns that fire 1,000,000 rounds per minute

From: bbrush@u...
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:05:41 -0600
Subject: Re: OT: Technology alert - guns that fire 1,000,000 rounds per minute

I remember this coming by before, but I hadn't bothered to look at the
video.	Definitely falls into the "Gee whiz cool" category.  Even if it
never does much it's cool to look at.

Bill

		    "B Lin"

		    <lin@rxkinetix.com> 	    To:
<gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
		    Sent by:			    cc:

		    owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Be	    Subject:	 OT:
Technology alert - guns that fire
		    rkeley.EDU			     1,000,000 rounds
per minute

		    01/16/02 01:52 PM

		    Please respond to gzg-l

Metal Storm is back in the news with a 15 barrel weapon that fires at
rates
of 1,000,000 rounds per minute.  One blurb says that rates up to 13
million
per minute are possible.

Video footage can be found at the web site: http://www.metalstorm.com
under
the Technology Demonstration page.

Other forms of the technology have been demonstrated to fire 40mm
grenades
at a rate of 20,000 rpm PER BARREL.

Hand-held weapons are capable of rates of 45,000 - 50,000 rounds per
minute
using 3 round bursts.

Other than bullet and propellent, there are no moving parts, removing
the
most basic obstacle in higher firing rates.

The downside is that ammo comes in long tubes which might be unwieldy
for
infantry. (in addition to the fact that you are going to be burning up a
lot of ammo...)

--Binhan

Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: [DSII] Building Scale in DS2