Prev: RE: [FT] Weasel Boats ? Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:46:54 -0500
Subject: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

At 3:47 AM -0800 1/16/02, Eric Foley wrote:

>-Is- there really a feasible way to keep tanks alive against MDC-5s
with
>Superior FireCon, other than basically hiding them until you can take
them
>out with something else?

Kill them before they kill you. In the early days of my experience
with DSII I chanced to have a game planned with a fellow who'd run a
mortar section in the Light infantry (10th Mtn iirc). He was the
proverbial power gamer. We settled on some points and met a few days
later to play the game.

I had settled on a platoon of size 5 tanks with MDC5s and lots of
gee-wiz stuff, artillery support and 3 platoons of mech infantry in
size 3 MICV's with a GMSH-Sup and a RFAC-1-Enh. He settled on 6 Class
4 mechs, one class 5 mech and 4 super heavy vehicles with artillery
onboard. The mechs had loads of stealth and the class 5 one had Area
Defense. He spent most of his time shooting at the Size 5 tanks that
were on a hill hull down.

It turned into a classic at long range tit for tat. I spent most of
my time concentrating half of the GMS-H's on one mech, and the other
half on another. We traded one vehicle for one or two mechs over the
course of several turns and he was reduced to running the
Superheavies away.

The lesson here was that I had more firepower than he did in a
projectable form. He had powerful platforms, I had smaller but just
as effective platforms. I won by weight of fire. Not quality of force
or what have you. Its a rule that works in chess, naval gun combat
and other forms...ie: if you have more than him, trade one for one if
you can. It will whittle them down.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			       '72 Honda CB750 -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill	      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
- C&R-FFL - /	Protect Freedom AND Security	  \	       -
-    NRA   /  http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/   \ DoD #0780 -

Prev: RE: [FT] Weasel Boats ? Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.