Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.

[OT] A sci-fi materials idea

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:17:12 -0500
Subject: [OT] A sci-fi materials idea

This would apply to chameleon camouflage, etc. It would also apply to
tactical/non-tactical combination uniforms.

Imagine a material (something like cloth) which takes on a certain
reflectivity to the visible and IR spectrum when exposed to a certain
charge or field. Thus to change it, you need to expose it to a different
charge or field.

Perhaps this charge or field is created by microfilaments woven through
the cloth. This charge is supplied (and controlled) through a small
wearable computer... mostly inert, only powered when a change of colour
is desired. Let's further posit that the configuration is "locked" by
the little computer such that a sweep with a field generator over an
area won't have enemy troops popping out like sore thumbs!

What does this give us? A dressy looking (not maybe full dress, but
definitely work dress) uniform that can change to combat BDUs with the
push of a button. This is the "basic standard" uniform.

The advanced uniform matches the filament weave with an optical filament
weave. This net plus an uprated control computer allows the user to hit
the button and take on the character of whatever is behind him - sort of
instant chameleon effect. Won't let you do it while moving, but get in
place, hit the button, and you're nigh invisible.

And it lets you take on the character of the area you're operating in
quickly too, no need to worry about having the wrong camouflage pattern
for your opzone. This would be really handy for Spec Ops guys.

I'm not sure if such a material and control system is feasible, but
assuming the basic physics of it are feasible (whatever they are), then
the computer control system probably is given another 200 (or maybe just
20) years.

What do you think?

Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.