Prev: Re: OT: This is sad but interesting: Next: Re: OT: This is sad but interesting:

Coast Gaurd

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:31:03 -0500
Subject: Coast Gaurd

Magic Wrote:

A good question for our own CG lawyers (I know, I know, worse than
pirates!).

[Tomb] Argh! Villains of the deepest dye! Keel hauling is too good!
Besides, in a moment bound to invoke the NBS (I know you're putting up
the Kra'Vak at your place Chris), I'll ask - if you're a lawyer working
for the US CG, does that make you.... A SEA LAWYER? (*ouch ouch ouch -
okay I'll stop!!!*)

Jurisdiction is clear, Navy cannot board vessels on the high seas unless
we are at war.	I'm not sure if "War on Terrorism" counts.  USCG can
with permission from the Flagged country.  If the vsl is not flying a
countries flag then they can be boarded.

[Tomb] How about in port? Strictly CG?

[Tomb] And how about if either USN or USCG comes across an incident they
believe to be piracy? What kind of rights/responsibilities/powers would
they have? How would they handle it (esp if there was potential for
violence or hostages)? Where does int'l law stand? Would they need to be
asked to intervene or could they on the justification of a breach of
maritime law or human rights law? Or would they likely intervene and let
the lawyers sort it out regardless later? Would the flagging of the
vessel being pirated matter?

Prev: Re: OT: This is sad but interesting: Next: Re: OT: This is sad but interesting: