Prev: [ADMIN] codes Next: [SG2] 15mm pics

COMMERCE RAIDER VS WARSHIP

From: DAWGFACE47@w...
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:03:15 -0600 (CST)
Subject: COMMERCE RAIDER VS WARSHIP

BEING BRAINDEAD, I cannot  remember the name of the  Kreigsmarine
auxiliary cruiser (an ex- cargo-liner, I think) involved, but  he did
sink an Australian  light cruiser ("he" being the  German warship) after
a short ranged	engagement.

This hapened in the South Atlantic, at the  height of the  search for
the  commerce raider (KORMORANT?) when the cruiser sighted him, and came
to investigate in a rather careless manner.

What followed was a classic naval  rape. The raider  opened fire at very
close range while the  cruiser was basically rubber necking alongside,
inflicting severe damage and  heavy casualties on her.

The cruiser (SYDNEY?) disengaged and fled over the horizon, where she
sank with all hands (I think all hands were lost- cannot remember for
sure).

Of course, I do believe the  commerce raider was caught and  sunk  later
on in his  cruise after sinking numerous  merchant vessels (after
re-supplying from them) and sending several prize  ships loaded with
prisoners off toward Germany. Again I cannot remember if any of the
prize  vessels	made it too prt safely.

DAWGFACE

Prev: [ADMIN] codes Next: [SG2] 15mm pics