Prev: RE: Letters of marque Next: Re: Battleships and Merchants

RE: Letters of marque

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:46:24 +1100
Subject: RE: Letters of marque

G'day,

> I would also imagine Pirates hiding out in areas that they
> know very well and have an advantage in. Asteroid Fields,
> Planetoid Belts, and the like.
> Small maneuverable ships have the advantage, *plus* it's home ground.

There's that, but there's also the "I know where you have to go" part of
it
too. Seagoing rendezvous can be hard to pull off, especially if you're
hunting rather than meeting on purpose, as a result if you look at
piracy
through the ages it was concentrated in spots they knew you had to go
through or where there are limited routes. So before they invented the
sea
going clock they had to use set routes for age of sail trading so they
were
open to piracy etc big time, now days its concentrated on specific
islands
or straits (e.g. Straits of Malacca). So in the GZGverse I'd expect them
concentrate in asteroid belts etc that cut the main route from jump
point to
point of call, especially if there are only a limited number of
navigable
routes through the obstacle.

Cheers

Beth

Prev: RE: Letters of marque Next: Re: Battleships and Merchants