Prev: Re: UV detection mutants Next: Lesson for the List #1 (RE: John Atkinson)

[OT] Webrings

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:36:45 -0500
Subject: [OT] Webrings

Thanks Schoon, Jeremy.

After reviewing the Terms-of-Service and the
Privacy Policy of WebRing, I cannot see myself
joining this ring. I don't like adware, I don't like
services which collect information to tailor the
presentation of ads, and I don't like some of
the terms of service either.

I'd rather figure out what CGI or Perl is required
to power a webring and stargrunt.ca will
eventually host its own webring, with no
corporate influence - no adware and no
collection of information. I happen to be very
much against this kind of corporate big-brother
thing and will (one day.... don't hold your
breath) offer an alternative.

It also occurs to me that one day I wish to be
able to offer an alternative host for GZG-L, just
because I don't want to have our server go
down or be closed and have the whole
community out in the cold and lost, separate,
and disappointed. It is never wise to have a
single point of failure.

But, for now, these plans are down the road.
A community is built (or enhanced) one step at
a time.

Thomas B.

Prev: Re: UV detection mutants Next: Lesson for the List #1 (RE: John Atkinson)