Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: Letters of marque

pirates of the carribean, and other spots

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:58:48 -0500
Subject: pirates of the carribean, and other spots

>From what I understand, some of these pirate
rings are very well trained and intel'd. Now, they
only need light infantry weapons since they're
counting on stealth, surprise, or maybe an
inside man to take the ship. And they don't
often target huge ships, but a 40' sailboat can
still be worth $500,000 USD.

And in many of the third world regions, I'd
assume the distinction between pirate and
coast gaurd might be... somewhat fuzzy.

I know the USCG can take on anything they are
likely to encounter (which makes sense) but if
they suddenly had to escort and protect US
shipping (all merchant shipping) from one end
of the globe to the other due to a war, would
they be able to do a really good job of this?
They probably don't have the numbers.

The GZGverse has this kind of problem - space
is big, freighting diverse, destinations many.
Privateers and Pirates can hit anywhere. Do I
think the NAC CG will be able to defend their
ports and key inner colony systems? Oh yes!
Will they be able to stop most piracy even in
smaller colonies? Probably. Once we get out
into new colonies, outposts, and research
outposts, we're into other territory. And we are
talking about the biggest coast gaurd/military
out there. Will the PAU be able to prevent any
piracy on system fringes? I have my doubts. Will
the IC?

Let us examine briefly the different types of Op
we can expect to see:

1) Ship Seizure - for the ship and/or its assets
(done by pirates and privateers). Sometimes
ships will be kept and used by capturing nation
or force, sometimes sold in black market (re-
registered elsewhere with a different ID unit.
Where: System fringes just before or after jump,
outrim colonies, research stations, and
outposts. You have to be someplace you can
get away with the ship. Occasionally attempted
by "inside job" in more patrolled space where
getting the ship away is done by deception
rather than speed.

2) Cargo Seizure - smash-n-grab. Much faster,
less risky (no longer term commitment to
prizing the captured ship). done by both
pirates and Privateers. Where: Very populous
systems (where the thieves can get lost
quickly), in-port (ports are busy), system edges
on the way to jump or the way back, and in the
further out systems (small colonies, outposts,
research installations, etc). Speed depends on
the size of cargo being taken and its value.

3) Destruction of ship and cargo - This is more
of a military action than a privateer action. But
again is undertaken by raiders or saboteurs in
such a way as to give them some chance of
escape.

4) Kidnapping - Putting the bag on some or all
of a list of valuable people on a ship. Done
often in-port or in a busy system where the
kidnappers can disappear, or on the outskirts
where the ship has some chance to get away.
Often an inside job.

The degree of organization and intel required
for some of these ops would suggest data
intrusion on shipping computers or social
engineering of shipping company people or
suborning of ship's crew. Promises of stupid
amounts of wealth or blackmail work well here,
as always. Privateers may have the benefit of
professionally collected intel and scouting
resources and possibly access to government
"cracker teams".

Ship entry teams will be light infantry (possibly
in hardshell armour if the atmosphere or lack
thereof requires it). Only in the event where the
ship must be taken in transit is a heavily armed
(ie small CV or DD) sized raider required.
otherwise, pinnaces, launches, and ship's boats
can likely be used.

So Magic, feel like doing up some work for
www.stargrunt.ca on the NAC CG? Maybe some
description of cutters and small ships and some
comments on boarding parties and harbour
defense teams? You're our domain expert! :)

Tomb
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: Letters of marque