Prev: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle) Next: RE: Letters of marque

Pirates and Privateers and Mercs

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:38:25 -0500
Subject: Pirates and Privateers and Mercs

1) Merc shipping on military duties

Mercs willing to accept "hot" assignments would
 want assurances of fleet-sponsored repairs
and high premiums on the operation. Use of
mercs for these roles, while not unheard of,
would be rare. The main use of mercs would be
to free up national fleet elements from
mundane tasks which mercs would do without
asking for the kitchen sink. Recce, intel
gathering, shipping security, system patrol -
mercs could do these things.

2) Privateers and Pirates

Privateers would require a Letter of Marque
and are (IIRC) operating as an extension of the
government that hired them. Ergo slaughtering
crews etc. is probably out. They neither want
nor need to do this, unlike pirates. In fact,
they'd be anxious to prove to a civilian captain
that they are in fact Privateers, and when the
battle is joined, they would (I think) fly the
appropriate flag (or maintain the appropriate
electronic signature?).

The trick, of course, would be knowing if it is a
pirate (who'll probably kill everyone to eliminate
witnesses) or a privateer (who probably won't).
I assume national gov'ts would pursue pirates
who masqueraded as privateers quite intensely.
This is of course a good way to besmirch an
enemy power (disguise yourself as one of their
privateers, then act in a vile evil manner).

As for ships captains not being anxious to
surrender.... I'm in a thrust 2 merchantman with
maybe one or two beam 1s. My escorts are
either non-existent or dead. I'm facing a thrust
4-8 raider with some B-2s, needle beams, and
perhaps a squadron of fighters... my options
are surrender, try to run and be crippled, or if
my luck is bad try to run and die. Hmmm....
which do I take?

Raiders would need less firepower and more
speed to run away from (or catch up to)
merchies and their escorts. They'd want mass
advantage.

As for escorting ships: You can't compare
exactly to today's world. Think more of the
1800s or earlier. Today, the world is a "small"
area (like a big bay). Fleets from main powers
can cover or surveil most of it. Not so in space.
The gulf is too vast, the tech not there.
Humanity is far more far flung.

Yes, you _can_ send a warship anywhere a
merchie can go. But you might not. You've got
a limit of warship numbers. Sure, 1 in 10
convoys is escorted (probably the really
important ones). But 9 in 10 are not. If I
double my escort commitment, I double my
odds of messing up pirates and privateers. But
I rob somewhere else - system defense? main
force? If I start building a pile of escorts to
defend shipping, then I eat up yard capacity
and money. Paying for privateers is a great
investment - a small number can cause (in weak
defense situations) a disproportionate loss of
shipping tonage, or (in strong defence) can
draw off a whole pile of enemy fleet elements
out of proportion to their number (defending
like this is waaay more expensive than
attacking) and it might choke off the flow of
goods, which further hurts my enemies.

It's a case of balance. If you have enough
money to do everything, sure you escort every
convoy. If you don't,  you escort some
randomly, some important ones intentionally,
and you evolve convoy doctrine so the
merchies can do their best to survive (and
probably arm some of them slightly). Oh, and
you probably do have to build a few more
escorts, balanced by your other budget issues,
or rob them from some other militarily useful
place. The extent to which  you do this
determines the extent to which privateers are
effective and how much it costs you. And no
one said privateering was entirely safe. It is
safer in the early stages of any conflict.... ;)

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle) Next: RE: Letters of marque