Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: [FH] KraVak predecessors

Re: Letters of marque

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:00:25 EST
Subject: Re: Letters of marque

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:39:11 +1100 Beth.Fulton@csiro.au writes:
>G'day,
>

>> All this talk of pirates aside, I have to point out that Nations of
>> certain size and larger guard their commerce with a vengance.
>
>Unfortunately they also tend to register their ships in small third
>party
>nations (to avoid liability and taxes etc) and thus are susceptible to
>pirate raids such as happens around Indonesia and the Philippines. The
>South
>East Asian pirates do try and take on commercial shipping there as the
>crews
>are very small and unarmed - using water cannons to prevent boarding
>rather
>than waiting until the raiders are on board.
>
>Cheers
>
>Beth

Much as I hate to make the guys in DC look good - the maritime safety
guys in NIMA (National Imagery and Mapping Agency aka known as "Not
Interested in Maps Anymore) issue warnings about piracy regularly as
part
of their maritime safety mission.  Wonder how difficult it would be to
get that information to determine frequency, severity, etc.?  In the
last
few months in the South Asia and, much more, in the SE Asia parts of the
BBC online there have been articles about piracy events (in port raids
has been popular recently IIRC.)

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: [FH] KraVak predecessors