Prev: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG Next: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (Scavenger vs. Predator)

Re: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (and more LOOOOONG)

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:45:04 -0800
Subject: Re: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (and more LOOOOONG)

The problem with "liquid storage" is that British colonists would make
puddings from it.

Other than that, if these things only swarm in self-defense (to conserve

hive 'energy') then a few stings here and there in a well-populated
ecology with lots of animals shouldn't be so devastating as to preclude
hives. Another possibility is for the majority of the bugs to hibernate
until a herd of animals comes by and then they swarm and strip a few
animals to the bone, store the food and resume lower levels of activity.

B Lin wrote:

>I would tend to model the pirahna bugs on a bee type system.  Some
comparisons first:

<snip>

>If pirahna bugs operate on the idea that they are transporting food
back to the hive, I would think it unlikely that they are merely
grabbing a bite and taking back a mouthful.  At the other extreme, I
think it unlikely that they are ripping out large chunks (relative to
body size) and hauling those back either.  A more likely scenario is
that they take a few bites, store them in some type of internal sac and
regurgitate back at the hive.  It may even have the advantage of being
pre-digested for grubs or queens.  There is probably some type of liquid
storage in the hive.

Prev: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG Next: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (Scavenger vs. Predator)