Prev: Re: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG Next: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG

RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (Scavenger vs. Predator)

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:28:25 -0700
Subject: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (Scavenger vs. Predator)

Not really.  It implies that they are really good scavengers.  Flesh
eating beetles have been used for a long time at museums to prepare
skeletons and they aren't predators, just really good scavengers.

Sharks are really good predators, but unless you have sufficient fat
content, they won't eat you.  They might bite to take a taste, but
unless you are of sufficient caloric density, they won't waste
additional time on you.  That's one reason so many people survive shark
"attacks", the shark was merely tasting and didn't bother to follow up
on someone who tastes like wood and styrofoam or didn't have enough fat
to make it worthwhile for a followup.  Being a predator does not
automatically imply that they will always attack and eat things down to
the bone.  Vice versa, just because something eats flesh to the bone
doesn't necessarily imply a predator.

--Binhan