Prev: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG Next: Re: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG

RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (and more LOOOOONG)

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:46:43 -0700
Subject: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG (and more LOOOOONG)

I would tend to model the pirahna bugs on a bee type system.  Some
comparisons first:

Pirahna bugs are relatively small and numerous, so are bees.

Assuming the pirahna bugs are living in nest because they are colony
type bugs, it would be implied that they are gathering food for the
hive, not the individual.  This in turn implies some sort of transport
capability as well as storage ability.	This again would make them
simlar to bees.

You can pack several hives of bees relatively close together (e.g.
beekeeping).  Bees roam miles and miles to gather their food even if
hives are in close proximity.  So it would be possible for several hives
to cover the same territory.

I suspect that bees are less competitive simply because it is difficult
to steal their nectar/pollen easily in transit.  Highly combative or
predatory insects tend to be over the types of food that are easily
stolen - whole leaves, grubs, insect parts.

If pirahna bugs operate on the idea that they are transporting food back
to the hive, I would think it unlikely that they are merely grabbing a
bite and taking back a mouthful.  At the other extreme, I think it
unlikely that they are ripping out large chunks (relative to body size)
and hauling those back either.	A more likely scenario is that they take
a few bites, store them in some type of internal sac and regurgitate
back at the hive.  It may even have the advantage of being pre-digested
for grubs or queens.  There is probably some type of liquid storage in
the hive.

If the mechanism is somthing like this, it would seem more advantageous
to have greater numbers of workers to rapidly dissect and transport a
food source rather than wasting effort on breeding soldiers to intercept
or guard against opposing workers since you don't directly benefit by
killing opposing workers (i.e. you can't steal their package of food).
It would be a more successful strategy of having overwhelming numbers of
workers so that if a food source does appear, you can grab more of it in
a shorter amount of time.

I would also think that this type of insect is more of a scavenger
rather than an active hunter, looking for non-moving flesh, rather than
actively hunting down moving creatures.  If this is the case, the local
fauna may not see them as a major threat and be willing to live among
such hives.  If there is a high concentration of fauna, there are
probably more carcasses for the hives to feed off of.

Alternatively there may be a symbiotic relationship with some type of
animal or plant.  It may be that a fungus grows on their droppings, and
this fungus attracts various birds, small animals or even larger animals
in times of drought or famine.	Everyone wins - animals have a backup
food supply in times of famine, and if one or two gets eaten, everyone
else survives when they might have starved to death.  The fungus gets a
normally safe home and lots of material to grow on.  The pirahna bugs
get waste handling and a lure for food.

Alternatively the bugs can life off the fungus and merely supplement
their diet with the occasional high protein snack.  There are many
variations of this PSB to explain how they work.  I'm always amazed at
the stuff we find on earth - i.e. bacteria that lives in near boiling
water, creatures that can survive tremendous pressures in the depths of
ocean trenches, the fact that ravens can count up to 7 and make tools,
modified bacteria that lives inside our cells (mitochondria), beds of
fungus that stretch for acres and are estimated to have lived for
thousands of years, etc.

I've always been interested in the "Deathworld" type ecosystems and
trying to figure out how to generate one that seems plausible.	Some
examples are David Drake's "Surface Action" and "Redliners" and the
"Deathworld Trilogy" by Harry Harrison.

--Binhan