Prev: Re: More detail added to ships... Next: RE: Re: D-Day was Shermans

Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:40:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

John Atkinson wrote:

> >An interesting article from Armor magazine some time ago (don't
remember
> >which issue offhand, but can check): During the UN operation in
Macedonia,
> >some of the US posts guarding the Serbian-Macedonian border were
supplied
> >by the neighbouring Finnish troops during the snowy period - because
the
> >Finnish SISU wheeled APCs were able to negotiate the snow and get to
the
> >posts, while the US tracked M113s either got stuck or turned into
gigantic
> >sleighs (and the weather was too poor for helos to fly out to the
posts) :-/

>I don't often sharpshoot you, but if the Sisu in
>question is the Sisu that my company had one of in
>Kosovo, it's got band tracks.

The SISU looks like this:
http://www.wendel.se/rswa/sisu.htm
I don't see how you could fit band tracks on it, though :-/

You sure you're not thinking of the Bv206 (eg.
http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/armoured/hagglunds2/hagglunds
23.html)?
The US Army bought a number of these (or maybe one of the armoured
variants, Bv206S and Bv210 - I don't remember which) some years back,
mainly for use in the Balkans.

> >Does the latest M113s have the newest tracks, though?
>
>I've seen old track pulled off display M113s from the
>early 60s to go onto operational M113A3s (special
>circumstances).  It's the same track.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

/Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: More detail added to ships... Next: RE: Re: D-Day was Shermans