Prev: RE: D-Day was Shermans Next: D-Day

RE: Re: Sherman's was something else

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:34:51 -0500
Subject: RE: Re: Sherman's was something else

>  On top of that the [German] troops were trained to "Obey
orders", and they didn't do anything without an order.

  I've never heard this before.  German troops were trained to follow
doctrine ("Tante Friede", I think? was what the called the infantry
"bible") if they didn't know what else to do, but if they were
experienced and had a better idea, they were free to go with it.  On a
tactical level, Germans were more effective than Americans or Brits (in
general--the best Allied units were as good), and much more effective
(x2.5) than Russians.
  If you read Trevor Dupuy, you can find lots more detail on this
subject

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: RE: D-Day was Shermans Next: D-Day