Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: Re: Merc Guild - Not Really

Re: Cammo was: girl soldiers

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:32:00 -0800
Subject: Re: Cammo was: girl soldiers

>I thought the whole point of cammo was that it broke the outline up not
>necessarily matched the background perfectly anyway, so it'd have to be
>combo of colours and shapes etc. This is especially true when you
consider
>the range of "coloured sight" in humans, let alone when you try to
think
>about what other animals (and potentially aliens) see.

Actually, in both nature and man-made camo, CMIIR, there are a variety
of
different Camo forms and functions.  Beth mentioned octopus camo, many
of
it's relatives, notably the Cuttlefish, have similar abilities.  There
are
fish and insects that resemble twigs.  Zebra camo, among other things,
DOES
break up the silhouette of the animal, so that a zebra herd looks like
one
mass of zebra, not individual animals.	Bit stripes also resemble grass
and
shadows.  Many deer species have spotted young or even adults, and the
spots
look like dappled sunlight, adding to the camo.  In human camo, there
have
been many variants that worked in different ways.  A Ghillie suit
definitely
does more than break up the silhouette - it looks like foliage.  At one
time, prior to the advancement of ground radar and UV/IR sighting, there

were experiments with a form of camo where vehicles were fitted with
very
powerful lights.  On a bright day, in the far distance, they were
indistinguishable from the ambient sunlight.  A friend, father of the
Oitjuan, told me of a "Cloaking" suit being worked on that he saw in a
TV
show.  The suit wasmade up of thousands of tiny cameras and monitors,
each
monitor showing the view from a camera opposite it on the wearer's body
-
effectively "Bending" light around the person.	He said it was
surprisingly
effective.  I suppose the "Camo/stealth/cloaking" technologies in the
future
will be varied and many.  Makes for interesting PSB/flavor for each
gameworld/background....

Brian B2

Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: Re: Merc Guild - Not Really