Prev: Re: Drones (UAVs) Next: Re: Drones and RPVs

Re: GZG Store

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:18:09 -0800
Subject: Re: GZG Store

Allan Goodall wrote:

> >However, we CAN give you a VAT receipt which (if
> >the amount is worth worrying about) you can use to reclaim the VAT in

>some
> >way when you leave the country (I'm not exactly sure how this works,
>you'd
> >have to inquire with the Customs people).
>
>When I was in Scotland in '92, the way to do it was to fill out a form
that
>the Customs folk had at the airport. The easiest way to do it is to go
>there
>when you land and ask them. That way you can get all the stuff you
need.

>This is true of most countries. In Canada, there are ways of claiming
the
>GST
>and (I think) provincial taxes if you live out of the country. This can

>often
>be considerable, though most people don't bother. In the US, I know
that
>Louisiana has rules about getting the sales tax back for people living
>outside
>of the country (and maybe outside of the state).

My sister and her husband live in Port Huron, MI, just across the river
from
Canada.  One of the most interesting duty-free stores I've encountered
was
there.	The way it was handled was, you went, as an American, into the
store
on the Canadian side.  When you had decided what you wanted to buy, you
gave
the item numbers to the store clerks, paid your money, and left.  Then
you
crossed the bridge, went into the store's American facility, and picked
up
your order.

Brian B2

Prev: Re: Drones (UAVs) Next: Re: Drones and RPVs