Prev: Drones and RPVs Next: GZG Store

RE: Merc Guild - Not Really

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:42:50 +1100
Subject: RE: Merc Guild - Not Really

G'day,

> Human nature is fundamentally flawed, and more or less
> unchangable.	People don't get better.  That's the
> only constant in all of history.

This is a good point John, and its why EVERY single nation on Earth has
atrocities in their history (and probably in their collective future
unfortunately). I don't mind drawing parallels between modern/past
events
and things that may occur in the GZGverse as its the only thing we've
got to
draw from (and its what marks out good scifi usually) and that's why I'd
hate to see a blanket ban on linking modern events, traits or behaviours
and
the GZGverse. However, I think characterising entire nations as "we'd
never
do that except if we were over enthusiastic militia" or "they all suck
to a
man" is as foolish as saying entire planets will always be desert or
water
or garden like or that all of an alien species will be identical clones
<unless of course they really are clones ;)>. The GZGverse should be
vibrant
in the fact it is a mosaic not blanket 2-dimensional characterisations.

In all, I'd hate for the creativity, imagination, hard work and good
ideas
of any of the list members' submissions to be detracted from or
overwhelmed
by less savoury contributions that are making this list a far less
pleasant
or interesting forum to participate in.

Beth

Prev: Drones and RPVs Next: GZG Store