Prev: Re: Merc Guild - Not Really Next: Re: Drones (UAVs)

Re: Merc Guild - Not Really

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:46:18 EST
Subject: Re: Merc Guild - Not Really

On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:25:40 -0800 "Brian Bilderback"
<bbilderback@hotmail.com> <snip>
>Depends on the source of the stereotype... "Perception" is a more
>commonly
>operative term than Experience regarding stereotypes.	Mr. Atkinson
>may have
>a notion of what Arabs or Zulus or Martians are like from his own
>experience, but I may have one based solely on what he has told me.
>And his
>observation may in turn be influenced by his own preferences and
>biases.
>And when talking about an entire population, or the individuals within
>it,
>there's always the danger of averages.  Certain individuals within a
>group
>are going to be better or worse than the perceived norm for that
>group, and
>our perception of the norm is based on the individuals we encounter.
>In the
>end, the phrase "I could be wrong" is a handy one for ALL of us to
>retain
>within our vocabulary.
>
>Brian B2

And on that last sentence it would be a good palce to drop any on list
discussion of "All Arab tankers" IMO.

So I will.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: Merc Guild - Not Really Next: Re: Drones (UAVs)