Prev: FW: FW: FW: MP organization Next: FW: Military Police

FW: FW: FW: MP organization

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:22:18 -0600
Subject: FW: FW: FW: MP organization

> I don't know about MPs in specific, but of the
> many-many soldiers I know, I'd have to say that anyone
> who makes a good field soldier would probably not make
> a good cop.  Wrong mindset.  Besides, if you want to
> be a cop that bad, find a police force that's hurting
> for cops and join it, not the Army.

I happen to agree with this completely.  But then I also spent a great
deal
of time explaining to soldiers that, no matter *what* they thought,
joining
the Army potentially involved combat, not just the GI bill.  <wry grin>

> Uh, I've done 24 hours ops long enough to know that if
> "down" is defined as trying to snooze in the back of
> the truck while the other two pull missions, it ain't
> going to work.

Exactly.  My CO didn't like that fact that I spent a lot of time arguing
with him about this, either.

> > PSG should get a cargo hummer, and the rest of our
> > imaginary HQ squad should
> > have a maintenance vehicle - probably another cargo
> > hummer given the current
> > selection of available vehicles.
>
> Hrm.	Now we've got 12 vehicles in a platoon.
>
> We've almost got a company's worth of vehicles to go
> with our company's worth of machine guns.  :)

*I* have absolutely no problem with this!  It's only a company's worth
of
vehicles if you're thinking like infantry.  It's just right if you're
thinking like a combat MP!  <beam>

> How about this:  Commo guy is with the PL since she's
> running around making the rounds of her teams--Commo
> guy can do preventive maint on radios while PL is
> doing LT stuff. The medic rides in the back of the
> PSG's HMMWV since casualty evacuation is his job, or
> maybe the PL as needed, although an uparmored HMMWV is
> lousy for casualty evac.  The mechanic gets promoted
> to buck sergeant and gets a mechanic EM to drive his
> contact truck-version HMMWV.	The PSG now doesn't need
> a gunner.  Since we're dreaming, it looks like this:
>
> 1xUp-armored HMMWV with Mk19 on top: PL, MP Driver,
> Commo guy, MP Gunner.  3xM16s (maybe give Commo guy a
> -203?), 1xSAW (for gunner to lug when dismounted),
> 3x9mm.
> 1xCargo HMMWV: PSG, MP Driver, Medic.  2xM-16s, 3x9mm.
> 1xContact Truck HMMWV: Mechanic NCO, Mechanic, 2xM16s.

Hm.  No 203 for the commo guy.	My experience is that we're lucky if
they
can qualify with an M16.  So let's leave the commo guy with an M16.
(And
I'll ignore my theory that *every* soldier should be combat-oriented
first
and whatever other specialty they have second for now.)

The rest of it looks fine to me.  Give the PSG a 203, however, or he'll
be
swiping one from one of my squad leaders.  (Personal experience
speaking,
here.)

> 9 troops and 3 trucks instead of 3 and 1.

*Much* better.

Now.  Shall we write this up and submit it to Fort McClellan?  <g>

Kiara

Prev: FW: FW: FW: MP organization Next: FW: Military Police