Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: Mercenaries

Re: Mercs

From: "Noel Weer" <noel.weer@v...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:59:40 -0600
Subject: Re: Mercs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 1:57 AM
Subject: Mercs

> 1) Why wouldn't the Mercs Guild buy a nice AE
> rock? The rationale for a potentially deeply
> buried subterannean hard-to-destroy HQ for
> the Guild is obvious. A great place to house
> arms factories, medical short and long term
> care facilities, R&R facilities, training areas,
> recruiting offices, contract lawyers, financiers,
> reps from various countries, etc. And of course
> a decent defence force (such a Guild World
> would probably be able to call up ALL available
> Mercs on-planet for emergencies).

Exactly the kind of thing I was proposing when I floated the idea. In
fact I
have been surprised not to see something in the 'pedia.

> 2) There will undoubtedly remain Guild and non-
> Guild mercs. Many smaller or shadier ops will
> have either no Guild sanction or a fake one
> (mind you, not a good idea to get caught with
> fake paperwork....)

Of course the other thing to keep in mind is that there could be rival
Guilds...

> 3) In order to threaten the NAC in any way AT
> ALL, a mercenary company would have to be
> able to field a Division I would imagine with
> corresponding support assets. I see this as
> very uncommon. And the only people who'd be
> able to hire such a force would be the Big 4. Or
> UberMegaGatesCorp of Seattle. I see most
> merc ops as "below radar" of most powers.

Depends upon the circumstances. Picture a fringe world of the one of the
Powers, a "vocal" minority with visions of grandeur and freedom, defense
forces drawn down thanks to the KV,.... mercs could be a problem.

<<SNIP>>

> FYI:
> The real world UN is debating the concept of
> using professional soldiers for peacekeeping
> and other UN interventions. The arguments for
> it include a higher standard of training and
> professionalism, fewer "ax to grind" forces with
> inter-racial or religious issues (merc forces are
> often mixed race and staunchly irreligious), and
> a loyalty only to their employer not some other
> outside power (a BIG problem in peacekeeping
> ops). I think the GZGverse calls out for this kind
> of use for Mercs and I think it would even make
> good sense in the real world.

Could that assist in the issues of cooperative efforts against the KV,
perhaps under UNSC command?