Prev: RE: Merc Guild Next: RE: [sg] Merc Guild

Re: Merc Guild

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:06:25 -0500
Subject: Re: Merc Guild

From: B Lin <lin@rxkinetix.com>
> A la Hammer's Slammers from David Drake or the Dorsai from Gordon
Dickson.  In both cases the justification for mercenaries was that
they brought experience and equipment that the hiring government could
not provide on its own.  It seems reasonable that an agricultural
world would not have an extensive military tradition that would
provide whole units on demand, perhaps not even equipment.

Of course, that does raise the question of where the merc units get
the funds to pay for something a government can't afford.  Corporate
units, perhaps, or big loans.  Maybe merc units have a loan insurance
officer instead of a political officer...
"Major, stop that pursuit!"
"But we have the enemy right where we want them!"
"Yes but you're risking MCr50 if they counterattack!"

Prev: RE: Merc Guild Next: RE: [sg] Merc Guild