Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: Re: Merc Guild

Re: Merc Guild

From: "Don M" <dmaddox1@h...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:27:35 -0600
Subject: Re: Merc Guild

> I gave this a little thought, and while I certainly can't predict the
> future any better than the next bloke...
>
> Take a look at mercenaries today vs. even as little as 200 years ago.
> The units are smaller, more independent, and in many cases as little
as
> 1 man, a situation which never would have come to pass in earlier
times.
> It would seem to me that technology has shrunken their organizational
> size.

The resent hay day was the 50s and 60s where units became rather large
This was a direct result of the vacuum of colonies come governments and
of course the cold war.When I look at the Tuffleyverse I see cold war in
spades! With a Alien threat bolted on, and with the vastness we are
playing with there is lots of room to do about anything.

> There is no reason, as you point out, that this might not reverse due
> increased demand in the future. However, deniability would become less

> and less of a factor as size increased. The payment would become
> correspondingly larger and easier to trace as the unit's size
increased.
> Likewise, payment by equipment would also be fairly easy to trace.

All governments lie deniability is a must that will never change.As for
the
equipment who is to say you supply them with your own. I can think of
a few scenarios where say a NAC hired unit supplied with ESU arms
attacks an FSE outpost, ensuring some get away.....Where did they get
this equipment you ask? Off the battlefield or from third parties ect.

> It's possible that mercenary companies could be supported by a
> government and become valuable for their skill, as has been suggested
by
> many sci-fi authors, but I can't imagine that they would be allowed to

> grow too large, as then they would clearly be seen as a threat to the
> major powers and eventually eliminated of subsumed.

I would think that also, that has always been the risk of being a merc.

Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: Re: Merc Guild