Prev: Re: Close Orbit Support (COS) a.k.a. CSS (Close Space Support) Next: Re: Merc Guild

Re: Merc Guild

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 19:27:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Merc Guild

--- Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:

> Group bargaining power, I can see.  Having an entire
> planet set aside
> seems a bit excessive.  I'd think an area the size
> of, oh, say France,
> would be plenty.

This ain't Battletech.	Merc unit's _goals_ may
include a landhold, but it's going to be pretty rare.

> Well, that's a little tricky, because the Great
> Powers aren't any more
> to be trusted than anyone else.

Most likely, more than a few of the merc units will be
front units for some of the major power's intel
agencies.  Others will be a way for smaller nations to
defray operating costs and gain operational
experience.

Most likely, truly independant mercenary units will be
extremely uncommon--operating sophisticated equipment
will take too large a support base.  It's not like the
Middle Ages where the largest operating expenses are
food and fodder, and the most sophisticated supplies
required are arrows.

John

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Close Orbit Support (COS) a.k.a. CSS (Close Space Support) Next: Re: Merc Guild