Prev: RE: [SGII], [DSII] Can't see the forest for the.... Next: Re: Close Orbit Support (COS) a.k.a. CSS (Close Space Support)

Re: LLAR in the intersentient war

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 08:31:53 +0100
Subject: Re: LLAR in the intersentient war

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
> >> Who has nothing to lose by ignoring the Siege of Sol and much to
> >gain?
> >>
> >> ***LLAR***
> >
> >But yes, the situation of the LLAR and other off-Earth nations is
> >interesting.
> >
> >For the LLAR, the best outcome would be that the NAC is shattered,
and
> >the LLAR is able to return to Earth to take over Latin America.
> >

> Why?
>
> At 25 years to a new generation - the LLAR has had (2183 (plus) minus
> 2100 when the league leaves earth) 83 years (working on the fourth
> generation) to adapt to not thinking "Earth" is home but that 'their
> worlds" are 'home' only the very oldest citizens would remember Earth
and
> the first generation off Earth would start transferring loyalty to
> 'their' worlds.

This will depend on a lot of factors. Peoples can hold grudges for a
long
time.

Examples:
In 1870/71 Germany conquered Alsace and Lorraine from France. This
conflict
was a significant factor in the outbreak of WWI 44 years later.
By now, the Palestinians have been struggling with Israel for half a
century.
The Jews were driven from Israel in the 1st century AD, and returned
there,
prompted by persecutions, almost 2 millenia later.

On the other hand:
The Germans driven out of Eastern Europe after WWII are a
counter-example.
Only the old ones are still nostalgic about their old home. But even
among
them, nobody would want to go to war about it.

It all depends, IMO, on two factors:
- How well off are the "dispossessed" people in their new surroundings ?
If
they are well off, revanchism will be minimal. If they fell they are in
some
hellhole things will be different.
- How much do the media (most likely government propaganda, but free
media
can nurture grudges, too) support revanchism ?

Also, how content are the Latinos as members of the NAC ? There may be
significant support for the "oppressed brethren".

> I think three generations later it would, "Well, if it was not too
> costly, we have our homes to defend... Besides we haven't needed them
in
> what, 80 plus years?	Screw the gringo bastards and their boot licking
> peons.  Yeah, kill the 'Cucarachas' but defend the "Earthie" NAC?  No
big
> loss if they die killing Kra'vak."

Again, depends. If the Kra'vak are seen as a threat against all of
humanity
rather than a local nuisance the colonies may well send forces against
them
even if not directly threatened. After all, Brazil and other South
American
countries joined the Allies in WWII and actually sent troops to Europe.

The chance to profit from such action is a further incentive to send
troops.

And if there is ground-fighting (is there ?) on Earth, the LLAR would
insist
that South America is the obvious place to deploy its troops. See the
Free
French in WWII.

Greetings
Karl Heinz