Prev: Re: [OT] Wehrmacht atrocities was: Experience and Training Next: Re: [SGII], [DSII] Can't see the forest for the....

Re: Close Orbit Support (COS) a.k.a. CSS (Close Space Support)

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 14:46:24 EST
Subject: Re: Close Orbit Support (COS) a.k.a. CSS (Close Space Support)

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 08:57:24 -0800 (PST) John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> writes:

>--- Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com> wrote:

<snip>
>> I originally envisioned COS (years ago) as ships in
>> the upper edge of atmosphere providing PGM
>>[Precision Guided munition] type support to the
>> guy on the ground [As John knows, that's the area
>> where the Army and The Air Force have the most
>> divergent views of the application of Air power]
>
>Yeah.	The Air Force doesn't believe in it anymore.
>But it's the second most important thing they do.
>(The most important is reconaissance).

The Air Force likes to pretend it's Air Superiority (which *has* to be
to allow some of the others to occur) followed by Interdiction (CAS past
the FEBA - Forward Edge of battle Area, Beth.  I think,) reconnaissance,

transportation and __then__ CAS with what's left (Hence the Army's love
fest with VTOL's/rotary aircraft since the infamous 1950's agreement.)

In my simple mind I think the Air Force priorities should be (with
flexibility for tactical situations) Reconaissance (including space,)
Air
Superiority, Transportation, CAS and then Interdiction.  I am sure I
left
out a mission or two in the above but I'm doing this without notes...

>> and capable (barely) of air breather (and similar)
>> interception and where i envisioned the most likely
>> contact between Star/Spaceship carried
>> (space capable/specialized for non-atmospheric
>> missions primarily) aerospace vehicles and
>> planetary "Edge of the Air envelope only"
>> aerospace Defense forces (Interceptors, fighters,
>> and	(attacking the PBMs) strike vehicles.
>
>Now that's an interesting arena.  I mean, I'd think
>that planetary-based fighters would have to be
>aerospace in order to be any good in the defense.
>In-atmosphere, restricted to slow speeds and with
>massive sensor signatures, they'd be easy meat for
>starship weapons systems, at least the way I'm
>thinking.  This is an area that requires further
>thought.

I see this as primarily a FT Fighter (optimized for space) versus
fighter
(optimised for air and lacking all the weioght needed for space gear)
followed by fighter versus a spaceship who has to stay in low orbit (or
not be available in 0-5 turns - hence no manuvers and the SML carrying
strike craft thank you...) to provide expected support of the ground
troops.  Leaving low orbit would be a 'mission kill' for the planetary
forces.  Not as good as a ship kill but it might be vital to the
defenders at some tactical moment.  In other words the spaceship is an
exceedingly predictable target (plusses to hit/damage for the attacking
Planet defense forces) because it's orbit is unusually fixed compared to
operations in deep space or even CSS status.

>> CSS was more the vaguely defined arena where less
>> precise (scatter!) and more area oriented weaponry
>> was employed beyond the effective arena where
>> planetary forces could, at great cost but with great
>> reward possible attack the bombardment forces.  It
>> is at this level where I think non-FTL
>> Spaceships (due to design and no need to have FTL
>> engines, releasing more mass for weapons - Thank
>> you, Traveller) and where the Starships should
>> be at some disadvantage (additionally) operating in
>> an 'unusual' combat environment.
>
>Why would the starships have a problem?  They're
>operating in a low orbit plinking at will.
>
>John

I question the '...plinking at will,,,' part but they should not be as
predictable as a COS mission.

You think the USAF guys don't like attacking into the teeth of ground
defenses?  The guys in Space would be even less prone to get down into
the land forces dirty little world.  When they pull out and 'come
around'
again it might be after the time interval of a SG or DS 2 scenario...

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!