Prev: [SG] And you thought I was warped before Next: Re: [SG] And you thought I was warped before

From MT Re: Ortillery

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:09:47 EST
Subject: From MT Re: Ortillery

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:40:37 -0800 (PST) John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> writes:
<snip>
>Or . . . we can go off of the little-remembered and
>rarely used module in More Thrust that treated them as
>pocket nukes.	I can't for the life of me find my copy
>of MT, but perhaps some kind soul can repost those
>rules and we can hash out the PSB behind them.

Page 4 of MT saith:

PLANETARY BOMBARDMENT SYSTEM (ORTILLERY):

This is a system used for Ground support fire from orbiting Starships or
Monitors.  It has no function in Space Combat, and cannot be used as an
anti-ship weapon.

Their use of this system is fully described in the section on Ortillery
Fire in the "DIRTSIDE II" INTERFACE rules given on P.17; if you are
using
FULL THRUST with a different Ground Combat rules system then the rules
given should allow you to relate this weapon to your chosen game with a
little thought.

Additional Analysis:
The symbol for Ortillery resembles a "Iron Bomb" icon pointing 'down'
within a triangle.  Could this imply some form of deadfall or PGMs
(precision Guided Munitions)?

Page 17 summary:

Two types of direct fire support:

Non-specialized ships (Beam)
Frigate plus escorts - one "converged sheaf" burst pattern
Cruisers - two of above
Capital ships - three of above
Deviation as normal for Ortillery
Attack as 'normal artillery' except 3 chits per element in the zone.
HEF for Infantry and MAK for vehicles
After attack, place NUKE marker at site - 2" radius keeps unprotected
troops and vehicles out of that zone.

Planetary Bombardment Monitors	-
One attack per system per ship per turn over area. *
**4" radius**
Four chits per element
damage as above (HEF/MAK)
Nuke after glow same as above (2")

* Fire availability :

Recommended - roll D6 (available on that turn and every 6 turns there
after to represent PBM moving at "low Orbit" i.e., not geostationary"!

Sorry but I don't type well and my arthritis is being mildly cranky so I
summarized the 15 paragraphs on page 17!

Oh, has anyone tried the MT rule (page 17) for fighters in CSS (CAS from
space)?

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: [SG] And you thought I was warped before Next: Re: [SG] And you thought I was warped before