Prev: Re: SG-Ortillary Next: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

Ortillery

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:01:43 -0500
Subject: Ortillery

A lot of the assumptions about the power of
shipboard weapons comes from assumptions
about space combat.

We don't really have a gamescale, so we make
up numbers for time and distance, then
backfigure to energies, with other assumptions,
etc. This is all made up.

What we do know is what the rules represent,
and the use of ships weaponry against a planet
other than ortillery isn't represented.

So, why not figure from the known to the
unknown, rather than from the made-up to the
disagrees-with-known?

Suppose the ortillery modules, as present in the
game, are the only normally used weapons
systems. Why is this the case? I think Ortillery is
effective, but as I recall from SG2, hardly
devastating. I never really focused on its DS2
effects, so pardon my ignorance.

Perhaps the atmosphere diffuses lasers and
plasma weapons to make them ineffective?
Perhaps ship missiles are thus also rendered
ineffective being bomb pumped lasers?
Perhaps also they aren't designed to manouver
in-atmosphere.

K-guns and other kinetic projectiles may not be
as powerful as people are suggesting. Several
reasons exist:
1) You might fire not 30 rounds at 100kg, but
10,000 rounds in a turn at 0.1 kgs. Maybe a
ship railgun uses a (conjectural) multiple-hit
approach with each slug packing the impact of
(say) an M1 tank round.
2) How tough are FT ships? Is destroying a
point of armour eliminating 100 tons of
material? I submit that it is not. I submit that it
is penetrating said armour and either spalling it
or just leaving enough of a hole that it is
ineffective. This might take far less energy.
3) Lasers and other weapons, firing at the
conjecturally less tough vessels may well not
have the insanely high power levels I've heard
discussed. Wrecking a bunch of hull boxes and
killing a few crew and knocking out a system or
two might not take that much energy at all...
because a box is checked off on the SSD
doesn't mean that the box is entirely
annihilated. Destroying a system (since they can
be fixed by DC) is probably representative of
some component damage or software down or
electrical feedback or something.

So the K-gun may not liberate 11 Megatons. It
may not even liberate 1 Mt.

So, perhaps in the less overblown universe,
these weapons then take on the proportions
more likely to limit their utility versus ground
targets. Additionally, the sensor rigs on ships
not equipped with Ortillery modules may well
not be too useful versus ground targets as
both the software and the hardware is
optimized for certain types of space warfare.
The real reason to install an ortillery module
may be to provide effective ground-covering
sensors. And the types of ordinance installed
may be some sort of a launch system that can
deploy kinetic attacks or which can deploy
varying warhead types.

In summary, there are two ways to approach
the problem: 1) make up some numbers for FT
stuff, then try to redefine ortillery and how
hugely powerful it is or 2) look at the rules in
DS and SG and the lack of scale or speed or
anything of that sort in FT or any definition of
what constitutes destruction of a system and
therefore abandon any imagined notions of
UberMegaWeapons and think of a sensible way
to explain the rules as they stand in DS and SG.

Being the GZG universe, you are free to do what
you want. I think the second option is actually
more palatable. But don't go around claiming
your solution makes more sense than the
canonical one - you don't have enough data to
make useful judgements (Jon's intentionally
vague approach strikes again!).

Tomb.

Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: SG-Ortillary Next: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training