Prev: Re: The First Intersentient War Next: Re: Guerilla wars (or continuance of armed conflict in other ways)

Guerilla wars (or continuance of armed conflict in other ways)

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 02:33:08 -0500
Subject: Guerilla wars (or continuance of armed conflict in other ways)

Although in general I agree with John's
comments about outside support, I will point
out that this is not necessarily always the case.

It is quite conceivable that, knowing you have an
enemy potentially about to occupy your planet,
you plant plenty of arms caches around. You
then distribute some of your population around
the rougher regions. Bits of your fleet goes to
ground on the ocean bottoms, in hidden cave
silos, on your gas giant, etc. Hidden comsats
are emplaced as asteroids, etc.

Now, this forms the basis for a guerilla war. This
presumes that 1) your enemy doesn't want to
cook the planet (then there isn't much you can
do) and 2) you have a finite time until you run
out of rebels, arms, and support. You may have
support from in-system forces that make a
great effort to remain hidden. You may have a
chance at pulling this off due to the difficulty of
garrisoning an entire planet. If you have
support from the remaining off-Earth colonies
(you might call this outside support, I'd actually
call it inside support since really it is part of the
same force that is waging the guerilla war,
rather than a separate entity), then that's a
good plus.

In general, it is very hard for a guerilla or
revolutionary movement to work without
outside funding and arms. However, there are
some situations where a limited duration
guerilla struggle are more than feasible (witness
Alan's suggestion on how the OUDF might best
oppose the KV and how OUDF training involves
this as a core philosophy).

This requires preparation, and an effective
enemy with enough willingness to stick it out will
probably overcome these strategems
eventually. But in the meanwhile, it can get very
costly for him.

And I think if Earth was captured, if it wasn't
utterly reduced, it would still be a key planet to
recover (partly due to the psychological impact,
partly due to the population on Earth, and
partly due to the manufacturing plants,
universities, etc on Earth that are worth saving).

Now, if the KV have Humanicide in mind, then
the UNSC better keep them the heck away from
Earth. Failing that, they must write their final will
and testament....

Oh, and John, in case you hadn't noticed:
Modern Day Japan has an awful lot of very
reasonable and democratic people who put a
very high value on human life. There are
undoubtedly small vestiges of the attitude of
"the old days", but they are nowhere near as
prevalent as one might fear. The average salary-
man is concerned with family stress, work
stress, and trying to make a living in a reeling
economy. Manifest Destiny or Global Hegemony
are well outside the common consciousness
today. I'd bet there are many Japanese that
place a higher value on human life (any human
life, not just a Japanese one) than a lot of
people elsewhere. They've had a real close
acquaintance with the results of that philosophy.
And besides, most kids nowadays in Japan are
interested in material goodies rather than
philosophy. Globalization, the ubiquity of
English, the Internet, etc. are all having their
effect....

Tomb
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: The First Intersentient War Next: Re: Guerilla wars (or continuance of armed conflict in other ways)