Prev: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training Next: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:08:47 +1100
Subject: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

At 04:28  28/12/01 +1300, you wrote:
> > Derek: Or the Americans in Vietnam ;)
>
>According to a general quoted by Tom Clancy, his Vietnam experience is
what
>led him (the general) to establish and TraDoc (training and
documentation).

Oh no! you've done it now :) In days of old, mentioning 'Tom Clancy' as
'reference' was a guaranteed way of sending John Atikson off frothing at

the mouth <very large GRIN>.

Seriously though, from what I have read the US Army had a major morale
problems in the 70's which required a major effort to correct (one
reference went so far as to state that in some formations officers
needed
protection from their own men).

But as John pointed out in his example of the British infantry such
doldurms can happen to anyone's army. The Soviet Union in WWII found
itself
with a morale problem in it's officer corp as a result of Stalin's
purges.
One remedy was to ship in gold braid on the next convoy from the UK :)

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.