Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: Re: A challenging Hind paint job.

Re: [OT] Aussie Fires, Fiery Atkinson, etc....

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:57:10 -0800
Subject: Re: [OT] Aussie Fires, Fiery Atkinson, etc....

Thomas Barclay Wrote:

>1) Someone compared combat to firefighting.
>Both have paratroops and bombers too -
>many a Smoke Jumper knows all about Final
>Protective Fire (or in their case, Fire Retardant).
>And both combat and firefighting take a lot of
>guts to go at time after time. Firefighters and
>cops and EMS types all too often don't get
>enough credit for the amazing job they do!

Someone once also recommended a book on combat in here called "Men and
Fire".	A book with a similar name can be recommended for anyone
interested
in wildfire fighting - "Young Men and Fire" is about smokejumpers who
lost
their lives.  Amazon has several other titles recommended if you do a
search
for YM&F.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm sure it's true in other wildfire
regions, the names of fires can evoke as much memory and legend as
famous
battles - the Tillamook Burn, Mann Gulch, Storm King Mountain...

>As someone who lived in Northern Ontario
>during some key fire seasons (missed school
>trips, nearly had to evacuate, etc), I can
>empathize with what is happening in Oz right
>now. Lots of rain and low winds is what I'll be
>praying for....

Echoed a thousand times....

Brian B2

Prev: Re: Merc Guild Next: Re: A challenging Hind paint job.