Prev: [OT] Contact me off list : cleaning out my Library - some SF books included Next: Re: Catholics in space - been done!

Catholics in space - been done!

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 02:19:41 -0500
Subject: Catholics in space - been done!

This discussion reminded me....

Sometime in the early 80s, there were adds in
the back of Dragon(TM) Magazine for a PBeM
RPG. The adds pictured an urban block with
skyscrapers, etc. being torched by a floating
SDNesque ship.

The caption read (roughly) "In 2180,
Excommunication is a harsh penalty."

I can't recall the game and am FAAAR tooooo
laaaazy to look up the add, but obviously the
idea of the Papacy having a whup-ass fleet was
at least entertaining enough to spin someones
imagination engine up to speed..... and it was
compelling imagery....

Tomb

PS - One fundamental difference between
Catholics and Protestants (at least
Presbyterians) seems to be that a Catholic can
screw up and then say "Ooops! Sorry!", get his
4000 Hail Mary's and be absolved. Protestants
just seem to get to carry their crimes with them
until they meet St. Peter and then they have to
answer for them. Seems to me (from a strictly
recruiting oriented PoV) that the Catholic model
is much more appealing.... ;)

PPS - My list of friends includes: Atheists,
Agnostics, Pagans (including Wiccans), Southern
Episcopal/Baptist types, Catholics, followers of
the Church of the Sub-Genius,  Presbyterians, I
think a Muslim or two, a Protestant with heavy
mystic tradition leanings, and some Buddhists
and possibly a Shinto follower. The diversity is
fascinating and anyone with any sense (IMO)
can see there are many potent similarities
between the messages of all of the faiths.
Here's an odd thought (it's late...): Maybe if
there is a Supreme Dude, he suffers from
multiple-personality disorder? ...or just has
one wicked sense of humor..... :)

Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304