Prev: EMP Pod Next: Burst Pods

ECM MT Missiles

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:52:05 -0800
Subject: ECM MT Missiles

Oh no it's another weapon system!

I know I've been putting a few of these things out there, but I figure
that's what the lists for and I'm not huge on the political setups of
the game universe at the moment. ;)

So I was thinking, what can I do to overbalance ordinance in the game?
Well I came up with it. We get missiles for nothing!

Yes that's right, instead of spending mass and points on more missiles,
why not just have 1 missile that can be 3? So I came up with the ECM
missile.

ECM MT Missile:
* produces 3 missile counters (2 dummy and 1 missile); dummies must
remain within 2mu of the actual missile
* does no damage

And low, I even have some numbers to back this up:

For 2 Counters:
Ratio of	Regular 	ECM
PDS to		Missile 	Missiles
Missiles	Hits		25%

1/2		1.5		1.2

2/2		1		0.9

3/2		0.75		0.675

4/2		0.5		0.525

For 3 counters:
Ratio of	Regular 	ECM
PDS to		Missile 	Missiles
Missiles	Hits		25%

1/2		1.5		1.25

2/2		1		1

3/2		0.75		0.75

4/2		0.5		0.625

Ok, now the break down on how I figured these.
Missiles against 1 PDS have a 50% chance of evading and missiles against
2 PDS have a 25% chance.
ECM decoys and real warhead missiles will be hit along the same ratio as
each makes up in an attacking swarm.
In calcs I used a base of 20 missiles.

As you can see in the numbers, ECM missiles decrease missile attacks
against low PDS targets and increase missile attacks against targets
with 2/1 odds but only slightly. The real fun with ECM missiles is with
them it forces the defender to pick which missiles to hit more carefully
since he might be loading PDS against a dummy. With ECM missiles the
choice can go either way, the defender might get lucky and only choose
real warheads to shoot at and leave the dummies mostly alone, decreasing
the effectiveness of the attack even more or he might shoot mostly at
dummies letting a greater number of warheads in then average.

Prev: EMP Pod Next: Burst Pods