Prev: GZGverse Govt Structure Next: Re: GZGverse Govt Structure

RE: Framework of nations

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:23:37 +1100
Subject: RE: Framework of nations

G'day,

> If the number of votes in the UN is determined by the amount
> of funding that nations contribute, the US would be demoted
> to observer status

I'm not sure how its enforced, but the charter currently states that a
member loses voting rights as soon as it owes more than 2 years worth of
fees. As to supporting activities such as peace-keeping forces that too
is
based on an ability to pay, but for permanent members of the security
council there are further obligations and responsibilities that come
with
that membership.

Now whether it works or not the fact that today 77% of all peace keeping
and
scientific missions are made up of people from developing nations is
actually a facet of the UN of today that I like in my cut of the
GZGverse
UN. I like the idea that maybe the UNSC is the 5th big boy on the block
because they're supported/helped to pull it off by all the little guys
not
big enough to do it by themselves. That's why I have the IAS getting
stellar
resources on a commission basis for running exploration and scientific
missions for the UN. OK this may mean that sometimes the "pure UN
citizens"
or the "better trained" troops may have to cope with people who aren't
as
well trained or experienced, but you can only give what you've got. If
militia is the best you can offer, you shouldn't be slapped in the face
for
giving it. Moreover, the "better troops" can help out (by bit of
training on
the side so to speak) the less experienced ones (Australia is currently
instructing the East Timorese in how have/run an effective, functioning
modern defence force).

Besides above all it makes for some cool (and colourful given all the
different potential uniforms) scenarios where you've got to swallow deep
and
hope that militia from Bettlebop IV on the left wing hold out long
enough
for you to pull this off and kick butt or whatever ;)

Cheers

Prev: GZGverse Govt Structure Next: Re: GZGverse Govt Structure