Prev: Re: [OT] Voting schemes Next: Re: [OT] Voting schemes

Re: [OT] Reprehensive Voting schemes

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:23:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Reprehensive Voting schemes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Siefert" <siefertma@wi.rr.com>
>     Personally, I've always been a fan of the Medieval Icelandic form
of
> representation.  Each free man can choose the individual who
represents
them
> in "the thing" and is allowed to change reprehensive on a whim when
and if
> that person somehow fails them.  (For a more modern interpretation,
read
> Chp. 22 of Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" or the
description of
> the Continental Congress from L. Neil Smith's "The Probability
Broach.")
>     Under this system, the only way anyone can really be
disenfranchised
is
> if they don't choose a reprehensive or there is no one that adequately
> represents that individuals beliefs.	What the representative actually
> believes becomes more important than what district they're from or
what
> party they belong to.

Pardon me being pedantic, but you should check the meanings of words you
use:

"reprehensive" is rather different from "representative".
>From various online-dictionaries

Reprehensive
[Cf. F. répréhensif.] Containing reprehension; conveying reproof.

Reprehension
n. [L. reprehensio: cf. F. répréhension.] Reproof; censure; blame;
disapproval.

rep·re·hen·si·ble
 adj. frml. shameful and deserving to be blamed or criticized: Her bad
behavior is reprehensible; no decent person would act like that! -v.
reprehend; -adv. reprehensibly; -n. [U] reprehension.

Reprehend
To reprove or reprimand with a view of restraining, checking, or
preventing;
to make charge of fault against; to disapprove of; to chide; to blame;
censure.

compare the intended meaning of:

Represent
several meanings, including:
* To stand in the place of; to supply the place, perform the duties,
exercise the rights, or receive the share, of; to speak and act with
authority in behalf of; to act the part of (another); as, an heir
represents
his ancestor; an attorney represents his client in court; a member of
Congress represents his district in Congress.

BTW:
> Each free man can choose the individual who represents
> them

>     Under this system, the only way anyone can really be
disenfranchised
> is if they don't choose a reprehensive

Note the "Free Man". First off, I'm not sure that in Medieval Iceland,
women
could vote.I rather doubt it. Second, there were unfree men in Iceland,
and
a man could become unfree, for example because he couldn't  pay off debt
or
as punishment for a crime. Thus, there were other ways to become
disenfranchised.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [OT] Voting schemes Next: Re: [OT] Voting schemes