Prev: RE: Plasma Pods (was Re: S'V Seekers) Next: IC naval and colony ramblings Re: [FT and DS 2]

IC Space forces was Re: [FT and DS 2]

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:19:59 EST
Subject: IC Space forces was Re: [FT and DS 2]

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:10:35 -0000 "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@tesco.net>
writes:

<snip>

>In our era, Indonesia used to operate the old Soviet "big CL"
>Ordzhonikidze
>(Sverdlov class), so perhaps an ESU-built flagsip is in order.  My old
>copy
>of "Combat Fleets of the World, 1982/83" shows the Indonesian navy
>using
>West German and Soviet subs, Australian, US, German and French
>aircraft, and
>surface combattants from (deep breath!) Yugoslavia, The Netherlands
>(so they
>don't hate them enough to boycott their shipyards), USA, USSR, Italy,
>Korea
>and Australia- auxiliaries and amphibs etc. add Indonesia herself,
>Germany,
>Japan, Austria and Hungary.  I wonder if it was something we said?
>
>Ship names are prefixed "KRI"= "Kapalperang Republik
>Indonesia"="Warship of
>the republic of Indonesia"
>
>Rob Paul

Not being an Indonesia guy [my pretend specialty is some selected rocks
trying to pass as Islands/Singapore/Malaysia/Brunei (okay, that was
freebie)] but for most of the region when I was growing up and a young
adult (1970's) the average surface naval ships looked a lot like a
miniature version of WW2.  In fact there are a lot of (less then
adequate
WW2-retreads/upgrades still pretending to be major regional surface
combatants in some of the Navies today.  Not all, I like Singapore's
naval elements.  How they would survive even a half-assed strike by the
regional Air/Naval Air forces in the regions is beyond me.

Bringing this back on topic,  Would the IC Space Forces be forced to do
what the Russian (Sorry, Soviet) forces did in the Cold War - use
officers like the West uses NCO's?

Would that result in a top heavy Naval roster in space?

Would the GZG version of the KRI be mostly Heavy Cruisers for the
'battle
line' with occasional BC stiffeners and flotillas of 'escort' sized
ships
for most purposes?

If so, what would be a selection of weapons that would allow them the
chance to strike hard and fast and (depending on success) either
withdraw
or harry a retreating foe?

I can't imagine the "100 families" allowing their piece of the system to
be destroyed because of a lack of a space force entirely.  And Ground
Forces need ways of being reinforced or being transported for the
purpose
of attacking enemy systems.  Maybe the lighter version of the Starship
Trooper strike transport for IC Marines.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: RE: Plasma Pods (was Re: S'V Seekers) Next: IC naval and colony ramblings Re: [FT and DS 2]