Prev: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions Next: Re: BN FMA: Some questions and thoughts

Re: B'n FMA (and a comment on Captains)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 18:37:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: B'n FMA (and a comment on Captains)

--- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:
> John Atkinson  wrote:
>
> >Realistically, anything the Marines can do, the
> >Airborne or conventional light infantry units can
> do.
> >

> I believe the USMC response would be, "Just not as
> well."

And roger.  The differences between the USMC and USA
are simple.

Take WWII organization.  Both services had a 13-man
squad.	You had your squad leader, your machine
gunner, your rifle grenadier, etc.  The difference is
in the 13th man.  In the Army, he's the assistant
squad leader.  In the Marine Corps, he's a combat
cameraman.

Taking a bunker:  US Army squad comes up, attacks the
bunker, looses 2 guys, calls down a TOT from every
tube in range, blows the bunker to hell.
Marines:  Fix bayonets and charge into the kill zone,
loosing 11 out of the 13 men.  Last two guys get
grenades into the bunker.

However, I'll point out that my batallion has a pretty
blue streamer embroidered "Normandy".  So I guess
amphibious assault isn't that hard.

John

Prev: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions Next: Re: BN FMA: Some questions and thoughts