Prev: RE: More military questions! Next: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu... and way OT.

FMA Battalion

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:22:03 -0500
Subject: FMA Battalion

I'm continuing to think slowly about this, I figure by 2185 or so
it'll be ready...

Each unit has die type ratings for Attack, Defense, and Move, plus
fixed ratings for Move Type (eg Foot/ Wheeled/ Tracked/ Grav) and
Attack Range (eg infantry has attack range 0, artillery might have
10).  Rough terrain upshifts defense die, downshifts move die.	Units
getting attacked in flank downshift 1, units getting attacked from the
rear downshift 2.

HQ's exist to dispense initiative (abstracting both C^3 and supply).
The player is the top level of command and rolls a die to determine
which (numbered) command gets to move.	That command then rolls
initiative among its units.  Example:  Tom rolls a 3, so the 3rd
Infantry Co takes its action.  The HQ of the 3rd is a d10 and rolls an
8, so his 5 platoons can take a total of eight actions.  Next turn,
Tom rolls a 3 again.  That's good for 3rd Infantry but not so good for
1st Cav, off on the flank.

As the game wears on, initiative will wear down in one way or
another--maybe subtract 1 from the max die roll each turn.

Units which lose a combat (opposed die roll) should lose 1 die type
off their Attack rating, I haven't figured out a graceful way to mark
that.  I suppose it could be done by tracking it on a roster sheet--we
track FT damage that way, after all, and that would allow some fog of
war.

I say "company" and "platoon" above but it may fit better as
"battalion" and "company"...that would make the player a brigade
commander.

Prev: RE: More military questions! Next: Re: [FT] Needle fleet now Cthulhu... and way OT.