Prev: RE: Laserlight Next: panic

Future Wet Water Navy structure: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 20:38:51 EST
Subject: Future Wet Water Navy structure: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 19:16:04 EST JRebori682@aol.com writes:
<snip>

>By the way, Anyone got any ideas on what wet navies might look like
>during
>the time
>represented by DS and SG?
>
>John Rebori ETN2 (Discharged)
>USN 1976 - 1982
>ex-USS Pegasus PHM-1

The Vacc-heads think (maybe rightly I tend to disagree) surface ships
(other then glorified Coast Police roles) would be toast to Space ships
(Although I only remember Oertillery mentioned in the ground strike role
of DS 2 and how many scenario 'invasion fleets' include such ships?) but
Beth referenced that Submarine vessels could/would have some strong
reasons to exist.  And someone else suggested submarine merchants
(although shallow water non-combatants, IIRC) a possibility.  The thread
dealing with super-cavitation (again IIRC) postulated subs using (via
self or weapons) such technology and acting as underwater fighters (back
to my very minority view of space belong to the Aerospace forces derived
from the pre-space Air Forces!) for combat.

Weaponry would be modified from FT systems I expect for ease of moving
another rule book (right after DS3, FT3, FMA, and Bugs Don't Surf
editted
prepublication by Beth and Derek's now grown children.)

Beams might be 'underwater only' varieties to reflect different (for
lack
of the right word) 'frequencies'?

Replace MTM/SM with Supercavitation "Missile Torpedoes"?

What Needle Beams?

SMP would be replaced by supercavitating miniature traditional
torpedoes?
Or rocket driven unguided supercavitating warheads?

Beth had mentioned a while ago in her underwater rules some color graded
Laser weapons, again IIRC.

And my latest madness; the Navy has been talking about a fire support
ship using low superstructure, stealth (?), and VLS "fire support
missiles" (what is the name of those!?) to give Marines some fire
support
bigger then 5" guns without bringing back the "shore support or sink"
designs of all gun ships.  SO you get  SM type weapons when surfaced for
shore bombardment/landing support and secondary systems (or less
effective versions of SM's) for underwater sub (ship) to sub (ship).

All underwater combat (except for supporting landings) would require a
new game mechanic I would think.  Sort of like "everybody is cloaked
until detected" space scenarios.  Maybe that's why Mr. Tuffley has
avoided that.	Or maybe the IC/OU war involving "Gun Skimmers" has
become the de facto method of sea control warfare.  I sure hope not!

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!